Thursday, May 3, 2012

Less than 24 hours

It's the night before I depart. My bag is packed, passport ready and I'm ready to go! I could not be more excited. I cannot believe that the time is finally here.

This week I heard from Cross-Cultural Solutions and found out about my placement. I will be working at the Kpando Health Centre. Some of my daily duties will include taking vitals, carrying out educational talks, making patients' beds, assisting nurses with daily duties, shadowing doctors and providing companionship to patients. I am so happy about my placement and to be able to work in a health environment that is very different than what I am used to. This health clinic is very large with a maternity ward, HIV/AIDS counseling section, lab, psychiatric unit, family planning and public health unit along with other areas. It was established in 1955 and mostly sees patients that are farmers, fishermen and tradesmen. I hope to interact with the HIV/AIDS patients as this is an area that I am interested in and possibly have some sort of program implemented through my internship while I am there.

 I will arrive in Accra around 11 am Saturday and then it will be a 4 hour drive to my home in the Volta Region. The time in Ghana is 5 hours ahead of Michigan since it is in the Greenwhich Mean Time Zone. After tonight my internet access will be limited until I am settled in Saturday night. We will start our work on Tuesday after a 2 day orientation at our home and work site.
I will blog as soon as it is available once I arrive.
Until then my friends!
Elizabeth

1 comment: